Whilst the role of PLM is about information, how it is produced and handled, disseminated and shared, its goals have an impact on the whole business of any company engaged in its practices. What is most important when considering and looking at a PLM system?
Engineering Change Management - Managing the process of change
Image: Workflow of Engineering Change Management process.
Engineering Change Request (ECR) can be started by anyone in the organisation with Production being the most likely source. But it also could be customers that start the process. Now that you have the request, how do you inform people and manage the implementation discussion? Follow the process through that results hopefully in an approval.
Engineering Change Order (ECO) is implementing the change and managing it’s introduction into the design or Bill of Materials or production environment.
Implementation Note (IN) captures the outcome of the change process with information such as, what is the cost, what was the implementation date, what stage in the production cycle does the change come into effect.
Does your organisation have answers to these questions?
- How do you capture (product, process, production) change within your organisation?
- It isn't always the design department that starts the change process, so where does the change process in your organisation begin?
- What tools are available in the organisation for anyone to capture the need for change?
Examples of how Sovelia PLM Engineering Change Management helps capture change
Image: Connection of the Engineering Change process elements
- Web client access for anyone in the organisation to start a change request
- Role-based approval process
- Create the Engineering change request/order from inside the Bill of Materials
- Industry standard workflows to help create the process
- Link the item revision to the Change order process (new change, new revision)
Autodesk Vault can be customised to automatically trigger and take care of some mundane tasks for you. The only problem is, you have to be a coder to put these in place and, once in place, further code change may be needed when your processes need to change. Sovelia Vault offers a configurable add in to Autodesk Vault that any competent administrator can adjust and use.
By monitoring and recording Sovelia PLM company can build up a set of data that can be used for many different purposes, but primarily to budget effectively and improve performance.